Colorado heads for a Friday night game in Eugene to play the #13 Oregon Ducks. Oregon is favored by 21. Seems like a done deal, right?
Fortunately for Colorado, the Pac-12 this year has been a feeding frenzy. And nothing seems to happen the way the pundits predict. That's good, because they predict a three touchdown defeat.
Not too long ago, the Pac-12 had six teams in the Top 25.
- Surprising California was in the Top 15. They've lost two of their three conference games since then.
- USC was back in the Top 25. They beat Stanford and Utah... and then came back to earth with losses to BYU and Washington.
- Washington was rumored to be a dark house for the post season playoffs... and then promptly lost to both Bay Area schools, Stanford and Cal.
- Arizona State made it to the Top 25, then got beat by Colorado and dropped out. They are back again after beating Cal.
- Washington State won 10 games last year. This year they are 3-2 and 0-2 in conference play. They gave up 66 points and lost to a horrible UCLA team, most of those in the last 20 minutes of a game they were leading by 30. Then they were throttled by Utah.
Colorado heads off to Eugene to face Oregon this Friday. OU is favored by 21. That makes sense, right? After all, Oregon did not score against Cal last week until almost the end of the 3rd quarter.
And last time Colorado came to town, Oregon thrashed them... right? Nope! A young Steven Montez led Colorado to a 41-38 victory.
And nobody knows which team will show up and be disciplined.
Will it be the Oregon team which was dominating until it collapsed against Auburn in the same manner as they did against Stanford last year?
Will it be the Colorado team who kills itself with penalties? Or the one who came roaring back to beat Nebraska or went into Sun Devil Stadium and beat Arizona State?
We will see. It's why they play the games.